Gloria Joynt-Lang’s top 10 writing tips for budding authors
We are delighted that the author Gloria Joynt-Lang has kindly written this excellent guest post providing her top 10 writing tips for budding authors. Gloria is the author of the new contemporary romance novel Beyond Circumstances.
I’ve made plenty of mistakes as an author, from sending off a manuscript which wasn’t quite ready, to spilling wine all over my notes. (Tip: Limit yourself to one glass or use a sippy cup.) Although learning from your mistakes is part of the process, I’d like to share a few writing tips that helped me.
Top 10 writing tips
1) Go for it. Don’t wait until conditions are ideal for you to write, just begin writing. I started writing Beyond Circumstances while sitting outside enjoying some sunshine. It wasn’t an ideal location as neighbors kept wandering by to chat, but at least I started. You can’t call yourself a writer when you don’t write. The important thing is not to procrastinate. So don’t hold off, waiting until you have money to build yourself a writing cave, or for your kids to start school. Write where you can and as often as you can.
2) Become a sponge. Soak up all you can about writing. Follow blogs, follow your favorite authors, make author friends on social media, read books on writing, and even take a relevant class or two. And remember to do this at the same time you are writing. Don’t fret if some of your words or phrases seem awkward, for you will go over it later and revise. Believe me you will be revising and editing repeatedly.
3) Don’t leave home empty-handed. Carry a note pad and pen in your purse or knapsack. Great ideas often show up when you’re doing something else, like shopping for groceries, or having dinner with your in-laws. It’s better to jot those ideas on paper, as opposed to carving them into your mother-in-law’s wooden table with a steak knife. And if you like to travel light, then enter ideas into your phone. Just be prepared.
4) Vary how you research. Writing requires research, but it doesn’t always have to be done in front of the computer. Sure, you can google the specifications of a particular muscle car, but why not talk to an expert. Most people love to share their knowledge. Being a writer gives you a great opportunity to try new things all in the name of research. Just keep in mind to stay on the right side of law and within the limits of your God given abilities. Make research fun, and in the process knock off a few items on your bucket list.
5) Reach out to others. Writing can be lonely, so be sure to connect with fellow authors and readers. Use social media and/or join a local writers’ group.
6) It’s okay to move on, and in fact you will need to. If your writing hits a road-block mid-chapter or the dialogue seems forced, mark it and begin a new chapter. Don’t waste time stewing when you got other ideas ready to hit the page.
8) Read the works of others. I’ve never met a writer who isn’t an avid reader, so it seems silly to advise aspiring authors to read. But I would recommend you read books in genres other than your own. I prefer romance novels, but there’s a herd of great books out there, so widen your scope. If you have the time, join a book club. It’s a great way to meet book-loving friends and be introduced to some wonderful books you wouldn’t normally pick up.
9) Be persistent and patient. Writing takes time and even when you think you got it right, you’ll find something you want to change. And don’t be surprised when your beloved baby isn’t loved by all. Reading is about personal tastes. Not everyone loves Hemingway’s works and there are people out there that will never read Harry Potter. As a writer, you’re going to face criticism. That’s why having writer friends is so important. We’ll comfort you when needed, but also push you to go back and write.
10) Listen to expert advice, but ultimately make your own decisions. You need to write the story that’s inside you, not what’s trending. If it happens to be both, good for you. But remember trends change, and agents and publishers love fresh ideas.
Thank you Gloria for your excellent top 10 writing tips, we hope they inspire all budding authors.
About the author Gloria Joynt-Lang
Gloria Joynt-Lang was born in Ars-Laquenexy, France and spent her childhood experiencing the vast landscapes of Canada. A graduate of the University of Alberta with a degree in Criminology, she devoted her career to working in the criminal justice system. She now splits her time living in rural Alberta, Canada as well as Southern California with her husband and their two dogs, a Maltese named YaHoo and Yorkie named Smookie Bijoux. Why the Yorkie has a stripper name shall remain a tight guarded secret. A lifelong nerd, she is most comfortable with a book or laptop close by except when she transforms to cool biker chick, hopping on her motorcycle for a speed limit abiding ride to the nearest bookstore.
Connect with Gloria Joynt-Lang
Beyond Circumstances by Gloria Joynt-Lang
Series: Out of the Darkness I Contemporary Romance I Fiery Seas Everlasting I June 12, 2018
Dr. Lexie Draden didn’t want to leave her successful career as a surgeon in Chicago, but she didn’t have a choice. Her family needed to heal, and as long as she was around, it wasn’t going to happen. While adapting to her new community, she meets Zak Tifour, a man as intriguing as he is handsome.
Most of the small-town residents view Zak as a man who likes his privacy, but to a select few, something doesn’t seem right. Long-time resident Cicily McQuay believes she has the key to the man’s odd behavior – a link to terrorism. After all, he just isn’t the type of man who belongs in her community. But to belong, you need to be welcomed; something Cicily has never extended to Zak.
Zak knows plenty of terrorists and has even lived amongst them, but not like Cicily suspects. Escaping from a lifetime of bloodshed and regrets, he attempts to distance himself from the quirky townsfolk; people unable to comprehend boundaries. It appears to be working until he encounters the town’s new attractive doctor. Even though his secrets run deep, she ends up trusting him with her heart. But trust is fragile, and when Zak gets drawn back to his old life, Lexie must decide whether he’s a dangerous man or a broken hero.Buy Beyond Circumstances at Amazon
This blog posts contains affiliate links. If you click on the links and purchase the book, The Globeflower Agency Ltd receives a commission at no extra cost to you. Read our full Affiliate Disclaimer.